Monday, May 18, 2009

Thoughts and Happenings Cannes

Yesterday was a pretty chill day. It was super hot and humid-for an Angeleno. We hit the Palais hard and finished up visiting the booths that we wanted to visit and  had another screening of NS. We had a really nice response from a Producer that we got to come see it. Then we headed over to the UK Pavillion again where we had a nice chat with a British writer who is good friends with Neil Purvis (latest writer of James Bond movies). I told him of my dream of directing one of those movies and I gave my opinion about the perverse way they kill their female victims in the movies.  I requested that he tell his friend that he should come up with something else more clever than that. lol!! But that I loved everything else and the direction that the franchise was going in with more of a story line. 

We are getting emails and people coming up to us daily telling us that they enjoyed the film and give us little constructive critiques here and there along with their favorite parts. Everyone seems to have a different scene they mention which is really surprising to me. But with the all the good, this morning I had my first nasty email from presumably an arrogant and jealous, angry cinematographer. He went out of his way to say it was all bad. That's it, nothing positive and no constructive comments. Really? Wow! So unprofessional. I know in the future as well that you can't please everyone and I should expect to have harsh criticism here and there. It's part of the process. But it seems that people would want to be more helpful rather than destructive. I'm happy though because two really good actors from other shorts have expressed interest in working with me on a future projects.  Mostly everyone else is kind, helpful, and enthusiastic. Everyone else here wants to build bridges. 

Anyhoo, Mike and I are still on cloud 9 over our meeting two lovely ladies both named Nathalie. They are reps of one the big PR firms here and they invited us to a private screening and "after party" on a yacht tomorrow that they are hosting. Then if we have time we will go to the Women in Film and TV event at the Kodak Pavillion that we were invited to.  The one from Paris was standing near our table watching tv next to us and we invited her to sit down with us at our table. She pretended not to understand English at first. Then her friend from Cannes sat down and eventually I decided to take a chance and say hi. Ironically the first Nathalie speaks English pretty well and the one from Cannes. The Nathalie in Cannes communicated with Mike in Spanish and English but she really could not understand my English accent at all-lol!!! We had a really good laugh and chat. We also met a really nice guy named Adyl who invited to sit with us too from PAris and Morocco. He was very interested and intrigued with NS but was secretive about his connections or lack thereof regarding the industry here. But he added me to his friends list on facebook. 

Maybe after the parties we will catch another one and/or sneak in. Oh I did forget to mention we just walked into a French Media party and got some cocktails. When we realized no one spoke English we decided to leave and stay off the radar-LOL!! Tonight we are going to a movie and dinner with the potential investor from LA. Wish us luck!!!  Afterwards, I hope to catch some pics of the big Christmas Carol soiree at the Carlton (like the four Seasons) where it will be decorated like a wintery wonderland. They already have fake snow and Christmas trees out front. I will post pictures on photobucket soon and post a link.

Last night we had dinner at the touristy but really cool old Suquest. It's a windy tiny terraced street with mostly restaurants that have indoor and outdoor seating with a very narrow cobblestone street to walk up and down. Dinner was most excellent and we met a nice guy from NYC.

Mike and I are torn about whether to start traveling Wed or Thurs for more sightseeing. Because you never know who you may meet later this week. We will play it by ear and see if we get any meetings set up or invitations stemming from tomorrow's activities. We have another screening set up at 4:15 for NS and hope we can get another good audience.  Scratch that, we just got word we are getting into see AGORA at 4:30 with Rachel Weiss-Yoohoo!!! Mike from LA is getting us in and taking us to dinner. Ok, signing off for now :)

One thing I will say is that I have my work cut out for me and I will have to step up my writing schedules to more than 4-5 hours a day to 8 hours a day!!! Not an easy task for someone who does not or did not consider herself a writer.........I think I can....I think I can....I think I can.....

No comments:

Post a Comment